“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ i 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
Over the last 6 months I have been working with the Eaton First Church of God pastor, Jonathan Grubbs on a collective event of combined worship and service to our community. I am incredibly excited about our churches coming together to worship God and serve as the hands and feet of Christ…together on a Sunday morning. The purpose of this specific morning of worship and serving is to honor Jesus Christ and reflect Him in action by serving in our community.
Therefore, on Sunday morning, May 21, instead of meeting here at our facility, we will gather at the Eaton Performing Arts Center across the street with the congregation of the Eaton First Church of God. (No services will be held at our facility that morning.) We will gather for worship and then head out into the community for various spring clean-up projects in public spaces and private homes. For those who are unable to physically participate there will be a prayer service after the worship, to pray for our community.
While we understand that this is something different than our normal Sunday morning, and will require some sacrifice, we believe it will be worth giving up a little of our own comfort in order to love our neighbors. I encourage you to live out your faith in Jesus Christ be being a part of this great gathering. As I shared a little over a month ago in a sermon, let’s be “Salt and Light” in this way to our community.
Here’s what you need to know:
DATE: Sunday, May 21, 2017
TIME: 8:15am – Noon
- Coffee/donuts 8:15 am
- worship 9:00 am
- orientation 9:30 am
- prayer service 9:45 am – 10:15 am (for those physically unable to go to projects)
- service projects 10:00 am – Noon
- worship: Eaton High School Performing Arts Center (If inclement weather, we will still gather for worship)
- prayer service: Eaton High School Performing Arts Center
- service projects: Various sites around the Eaton community
- Assignments will be given on that Sunday morning
- Participants will be responsible for transportation to each site (carpooling is encouraged)
- Each site will be staffed with a project manager and a site host to lead volunteers
- all ages
- families will remain together
- childcare not provided
- Sign up (one form per person)
- Kiosk – Apr 30 & May 7
- LifeShare link at the bottom of this article
- Sign up Form (available in bulletin and at Kiosk)
- Choose how to participate (community service OR prayer service)
- T-shirt size (free to participants)
- free to anyone that signs up and participates (includes children)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Gloves; all other items TBD
- Water will be provided at project sites
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Impact Eaton t-shirt (will be handed out May 14 for those who signed up)
- Weather appropriate clothes & shoes to work in
So, let’s start signing up and making the most of this opportunity “to love God and love others”. You can sign up now by clicking here. (Make sure you sign up each person in your family.) Don’t miss out…be a part.
Looking forward to worshiping and serving with you on May 21!