“Will you pick me up?”, the little voice asked. It was a busy Sunday morning in a new church. But somehow this little girl had found the number to my office and had, all by herself, called to ask for someone to pick her up. She REALLY wanted to come to church. Who could do it? Everyone I could think of needed to be somewhere else. So I jumped in my car and headed for her house.
She was a broken little girl. Her daddy had left when she was still young, leaving her feeling unwanted and worthless. So eager for attention, she did a lot to try to gain people’s approval, but it only pushed her peers away. Over and over again, she stumbled through life, from one mistake to another. But God sent Sunday School teachers, small group leaders, preteen leaders, game leaders, and other people to speak into that little girl over the next ten years.
Through them, God got a hold of that life – and that life was transformed. This little girl is now a mother of five children, married to a godly husband, AND they are about to head to the mission field of Japan. A life that was changed…
That’s what God calls us to do as the Body of Christ. No one person is to do it all. But every person who is a Christian has a role to play. So…what role will you take in the coming year? Will you make room in your life so that you HAVE time to serve? Will you take a step to do something new and different, maybe even outside of your comfort zone? Or will you let the year go by, with much of life lived, but nothing to show for the Kingdom? What will you do to make a difference for eternity this next year?
Some Options for Places to Serve in Children’s Ministry on Sundays, Wednesday’s or weekday’s:
Sunday’s With Children:
- Provide loving care for babies and Toddlers in the Nursery
- Lead singing in a miniature Preschool Worship Service
- Assist a teacher with a group of children
- Play with volunteer’s children while the children’s ministry volunteers are praying (10:05 – 10:25 AM Sundays)
- Lead groups of children in an active Bible game that ties back to the Bible story (training provided)
- Be a buddy for a Special Needs Child
Sunday’s Support Ministries – not with children
- Be a part of the Children’s Welcome Team (formerly “check-in”)
- Welcome NEW families at the new Children’s Welcome Center
- Prepare snack for children
- Keep our children and people safe as part of the Safety Team.
Wednesday night Options for Places to Serve
Knight’s Club (Wednesday Nights):
- Teach a group of children
- Assist with a group of children
- Provide child-care to infants – threes.
- Listen to children recite Bible verses
- Welcome children and help families get signed in at Knight’s Club
- Lead fun active games related to Bible stories (training and ideas provided)
- Coordinate the ordering and distribution of Awards and add up children’s points
- Provide a mini-Knight’s program for children ages 4-5 (resources provided)
During the Week:
- Pray for specific children’s ministry needs (weekly email)
- Clean Nursery Laundry
- Put nametags back in order by color and alphabet.
- Prepare powerpoint for the Bible Quiz Game Show (1X a month)
- Assist in setting up for the monthly Bible Quiz Game Show
- Help in children’s ministry office
- Help chaperone/drive vehicle for Preteen Events (every 4-6 weeks)
- Assist with Preteen Drama Team
- Set up for Knight’s Club Wednesday Afternoons
Contact me if you are interested in serving in any of these areas.