Missions and Outreach Team Update
As we all know, ECOB is in a time of transition. Pastor Dan stepped into the shoes formerly filled for many years by Pastor Martin. We have sold the campus on North Barron Street to L & M Products, and we are now literally bulging at our seams in ‘stuff’ from that location and embarking on solutions for all that ‘stuff’!!
Along with those changes, we also are having changes to some of our ministries. One of those changes is the name and the scope of the Missionary Committee. We are now the Missions and Outreach Team. With that name change comes revamping what we are tasked to do.
We are now working on rewriting our Policies to incorporate not only our foreign and domestic long term missionaries and short term mission trips, but we are incorporating local outreach ministries.
We currently have six missionaries in foreign locals: Bruce and Ching Behnken in the Philippines, Dirk and Karen Martin in Haiti, Bev Charles in Romania, Steve and Natasha Rudd in Macedonia, Becky Karns in Haiti and Jesse Witt with Austin Stone Storyteam in Texas.
Our outreach duties encompass the Luke 3:11 ministry, Second Saturday ministry and we are partnering with the HIT Foundation to provide meals at the homeless shelter and the cold shelter Preble County.
One of our goals is to keep you ‘the church’ up-to-date through LifeShare, on a regular basis, the most important ministry of any church – MISSION. We will highlight our missionaries, report on mission trips, and update you on our outreach programs.
If anyone has any questions or concerns, please contact one of the team members. Our Missions and Outreach Team for 2016 consists of Jerry Deaton, Brenda Geeting, Karen Mays, Cherie Reese and Doris Simmons. Our Elder Board Liaison is Mark Yeazel.
ECOB Missions and Outreach Team
Before Sunday be sure to read 1 Kings 1-8; 10-11; 2 Chronicles 5-7; Proverbs 1-3; 6; 20-21 and/or Chapter 13 of The Story. To see all reading assignments click here. To hear previous sermons in the series, click here.
Concert: A Side of Taylors
We’re kicking off “Weekend Under…” (see below) with a concert. Featuring rich vocal harmonies, the Americana/folk/bluegrass band, A Side of Taylors, is fronted by lead singer and teen son Mason, who’s quite adept on the mandolin, and is backed by father Chris, who plays guitar and banjo, among other instruments, as well as the rest of the Taylor clan. With their unique style, they cover a wide range of music from the past fifty years and beyond, including songs by Johnny Cash, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan, in addition to southern gospel hymns. You won’t want to miss them under the tent. (See video below.)
- DATE: Friday, Aug. 12
- TIME: 7 pm
- Weekend Under… – Come out August 12-14 for a weekend under the stars, under the sun, and under the tent.
- Friday 7 pm concert: A Side of Taylors. Concessions and a movie when the sun goes down.
- Saturday 4 pm picnic: eat at 4:30 pm then games, games, games!
- One Service on Sunday at 10 am under the tent – outdoor worship together!
- School Supply Drive – The Once Around Shop will accept the following donations through Tuesday, July 19, for students in need. Shop hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10 am to 2 pm, or call 456-6560 for other arrangements. Items needed are: wide-rule loose leaf paper, crayons (24 pack), glue bottles, and large back packs. Thank you!
- Guys’ Night Out – (6-12th grade males) Friday, July 22, 6 pm to Midnight. Food, Sports and Video Games! Cost $10. Register at eatoncob.org/connect/students.
- Greenhouse Kids Worship – Sunday, July 31, 9 am, Room 5, hear about our hopes and dreams for Kids Worship and how you can be involved! Open to all ages. Childcare available.
- Parking Lot Reminder – Paving is complete! The lines may or may not be done by Sunday depending on circumstances. Since the pavement will be curing, please be sure to wipe your feet on the provided rug path into the building. Attendants will be there to guide you.